Crafting keeps me sane * Baking keeps me smiling * Family keeps me happy * Faith keeps me going







Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dresser Makeover

So, my house is 1800 square feet.  And, we have seven people and two dogs.  We outgrew this house about 7 years ago, but because of the market and some not so wise decisions, we will be staying here, for better or worse.  Space is always an issue now.  I am constantly rearranging, trying to find a ‘better way’ to store things.  My kitchen is probably the most difficult room, because we have growing kids and seem to be buying more and more food.  I have been wanting a hutch for.ev.er. (and a day).  But, sadly the budget doesn’t allow for it right now (and honestly, space is an issue…I had 50” to work with, and found a BEAUTIFUL hutch right around the corner at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago, but when I measured it…heart break…it was 54”, and even worse, it was only $50…that is just not right!  I find exactly what I want, in my budget, but  it doesn’t fit?  Not right I tell you!).  Anyway, I found this dresser on Craigslist for $30, and thought it might work.  They measured it for me and it was perfect!  So I ran right over, and even ended up getting it for $25 (yay!). 

girls weekend 030

The door looks crooked because it is just propped up there, I had already removed the door and drawers and started sanding, when I realized I forgot to take a ‘before’ picture… oops!  So, I put it back together for the picture Smile

I sanded it, primed it white, then painted it Heirloom White.  I didn’t understand everyone’s infatuation with this particular color.  UNTIL I painted my dresser.  Oh my goodness.  It was love at first sight.  The primer was white, and it looked nice, but the Heirloom was so warm and lovely.  I love it!  I decided to paint the top black (or, Oil Rubbed Bronze), because I had bought new black knobs, and I hoped it would look pretty together (plus, a white surface with 5 kids is not a good match around here!).  This was my first attempt at adding a stain wash type of finish, and while it’s not exactly what I had in mind, I actually am learning to love it.  Next year, I am going to repaint my kitchen (including cabinets), and this is what I had in mind.  I didn’t put a poly finish on it, because I figured if the kitchen cabinets don’t match this finish, I can always change this (much easier than trying to change all my cabinets).

001

002

I cannot believe how much room we have for storing food and goodies!  The middle drawer is still empty, and the top drawer is pretty much empty.  And the cabinet?  Well, the 16 quarts of spicy green beans and an extra half rack of Diet Coke are stored there!  Yay for storage! And yay for hidden storage!  This (I think I’ll call her ‘Lovely’ from now on) replaced a baker’s rack that I got about 7 years ago.  It worked well, but didn’t have enough storage and everything was out in the open…I hated seeing it all! I still have lots of other plans…like painting the monstrosity of a freezer that lives next to the beautiful new sideboard (can I call it that now, instead of a ‘dresser’?  I hope so, it sounds much more sophisticated!). I’ve been begging the hubby for years to get rid of that freezer, but it is a necessity…unfortunately…it’s just so U.G.L.Y.  Really ugly. Especially now, sitting next to “Lovely”.  Oh how I wish we had a garage!!!

Well, that is one project down, about a million more to go!  Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave a comment and let me know you were here!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing job you did my friend... it's BEAUTIFUL! Nice job on the bargain too... that's always a big plus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend I want to say thank you for your encouraging message to me today! It went straight to my heart. Your words are always so uplifting to me. Sending you all my love. Janine
    ps - Your creativity is so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete