Crafting keeps me sane * Baking keeps me smiling * Family keeps me happy * Faith keeps me going







Tuesday, December 20, 2011

2x4 CHRISTMAS TREE

I saw these adorable 2 x 4 Christmas trees at    Under My Umbrella    and knew I wanted to make some (have you heard that before?).  This was such an easy project (really, really easy).  I cut my wood to various lengths, using my miter saw (or, have Home Depot cut it for you).  Then sand, paint, and if you want, mod podge some fun paper to one side.  Once the mod podge was dry, I used Gorilla Wood Glue to attach the pieces together (except the star), and clamped them for about an hour. 

009

I couldn’t stand the back side being blank, so I added a vinyl sentiment.

012

I really love how it turned out.  It is a very simple tree, not fancy and swirly and all glittery, like I usually would make…but I love it.  And, by the way, (I almost forgot), I found the stars at Goodwill last year, and they’ve just been sitting in my craft room, waiting to be beautiful (they were a really ugly blue), so I sanded them and painted them silver, and of course, I added a bow Smile

This craft is so inexpensive (about $3 for a 2x4 which will make at least 2 trees, & the rest of the supplies I already had on hand), quick and easy (probably 2 – 2/12 hours, start to finish), that you could even make a few different trees out of one 2x4 and paint them to match different rooms in your home (doesn’t everyone have different Christmas rooms?).  I love color, so my daughters’ room has purple and pink Christmas trees and decorations, my main bathroom has a fun and funky green and red décor with elves and my living room has all the traditional red, green, and silver colors.  Maybe next year I’ll make a pink and purple one for the girls…and a blue and black one for the boys…well, maybe not that one!  Also, another fun idea would be to make it a 3 tier tree, and only glue the three tiers (not the base),and on the flip side, paint it the colors of candy corn, so you could use it for fall and winter décor.  I might just have to make myself one like that next year!

I hope you are having a wonderful week, getting ready for Christmas.   Even in difficult times, there is much to be thankful for.  As we get closer to celebrating the birth of our Savior, my heart and mind are finding a peace that has been missing for the last few Christmases, and although circumstances tempt me to be angry and question Him, instead I am trusting Him.  I hope you are having a truly peaceful, joy-filled week!

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your comments, so please let me know you were here!

I’m linking up at   Gingersnap Crafts

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with this tree!! Such a cute idea!! I absolutely love the statement on the backside too! I am your newest follower. I found you at Ginger Snap Crafts.
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com
    Would love if you stopped by and said Hi:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tree! (cause I love scrap wood!)
    Thanks for the Christmas wishes!
    May your family have a Blessed Christmas!
    gail

    ReplyDelete