Crafting keeps me sane * Baking keeps me smiling * Family keeps me happy * Faith keeps me going







Monday, June 13, 2011

SLOPPY CASSEROLE

Well, at least that’s what my 3 year old calls it!    Really, I think it’s called “Sloppy Joe Casserole”, she just forgets the “Joe”,and since we all think it’s funny to hear her say, we now call it “Sloppy Casserole” too!

Before I start, I am apologizing for the pictures, I am clearly NOT a food photographer.  I don’t know how people get those amazing pictures of food?  At least I remembered to get a picture before the pan was empty!

003

004

So, this is my favorite go-to recipe because it is so simple and I usually have the ingredients on hand:

1 # hamburger *  1# ground turkey * 2 cans Sloppy Joe sauce * 1 bag Tater Tots and 1-2 Cups shredded cheese

Brown the burger and turkey until no longer pink.  Drain and rinse.  Return to the pan and add the 2 cans Sloppy Joe sauce.  Heat through.  Lightly spray your 9x13 pan with cooking spray, and add the meat mixture.  Pour the bag of frozen tater tots on top, spreading evenly.  Top with as much cheese as your heart desires. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. 

This recipe feeds my family of 7 (‘til we’re stuffed).  There usually isn’t any leftovers because the kids finish it off (if your family is smaller, just adjust it down, the original had only 1# meat, and 1 can sauce, I went bigger).  In my family, with 5 kids, it’s rare to find something that everyone likes…especially something that is simple to make, and pretty inexpensive…but here we’ve found it!  I don’t know about you, but I grew up LOVING Sloppy Joe’s.  We didn’t have them a lot at home, but it was a regular on the school lunch menu.  When I made them for my kids, I couldn’t believe they didn’t like them.  It wasn’t the taste, but the ‘sloppiness’ of it, they couldn’t get past the mess.  I think the mess is part of the charm.  Anyway, I was so sad that they didn’t love them, and I couldn’t very well make a batch just for me, so when I found this recipe I was thrilled (the original also had cream of chicken soup, but  after one batch of that, I deleted it from the recipe…it really didn’t seem to have a purpose).  We probably have it once a month or more.  What I also love about it is that I can cook the meat and sauce ahead in the morning, put it in the fridge, and then in the evening, just assemble it and throw it in the oven.  Very easy!

As a mom, I love to make casseroles.  They make my life easier (at least dinner time).  It’s really hit and miss with what the kids will like, and what I like so since this is a family success, I thought I’d share (my husband doesn’t like casseroles at all, but after sneaking a bite of this one, has decided it passes his inspection, and he will now eat it too.  That is a victory in this house!).  How about you?  Did you love Sloppy Joe’s growing up???  Do your kids like them??  Do you have any great casserole recipes to share??  Please let me know!

Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave some comment love and let me know you were here!

No comments:

Post a Comment